If you had the choice, would you want to spend your life as a happy, optimistic individual or a sad, pessimistic one? Obviously the majority of you would rather be happy (or at least I’d hope so). So, why don’t you just do it??
People think that being happy is so difficult, but honestly, it’s quite simple. You have to be in the mindset that you need to be happy. You have to wake up every single morning and say to yourself, “Today is going to be a great day,” and guess what? It will be a great day. If you choose to look at the positive in everything, then you will, without a doubt, be as happy as you could possibly be. People may think that it’s overrated, but here’s why you should make being happy a priority in your everyday life:
- When you’re happy, you’re healthy. Believe it or not, the happier you are the healthier you feel. On some occasions, I have literally made myself sick by being anxious, scared, or worried about certain situations, but when I choose to be happy, I feel better than ever.
- Having a positive outlook on life makes everything more enjoyable. Who wants to be around someone that acts like a Debbie Downer? (The answer is no one.) When you look on the bright side of things, especially in negative situations, it not only makes it easier to get through tough times, but it also makes you feel better when things don’t go your way.
- Your emotions can project to others, so why not make them happy? In many cases, small groups of people will share emotions in certain contexts. For example, if someone comes into work and they are bitter and negative about everything, then the people around them tend to start to feel the same way. So, if it works with bad emotions, then why wouldn’t it work with good ones? Try it sometime.
- Life is too short to be anything but happy. When you are 90 and you look back on your life, would you rather think of happy times or bad times? The answer is obvious, and only you can choose how to spend your life.
- Smiling is the best accessory you can have. When someone walks past and they have a huge grin on their face, they look like they’re glowing with happiness. As humans, we are attracted to people like that, so if you’re single, or maybe you just like making friends, having a smile on your face is the best way to get people to approach you (just don’t look creepy).
- You’re alive! If that’s not a reason to be happy, then I don’t know what is. If you’re breathing then that alone is a reason to smile.
- If you focus more on the good, then you’ll find more good in the world. If you seek out the good in any situation, then you will find it. It’s always there. You just have to look hard enough.
So, there you have it. Remember why it is better to be happy, and don’t be afraid to be that annoying optimistic person (kidding, not annoying) everywhere you go.